Sunday 20 June 2010

papa talk

i spoke to my mama for my regular sunday phone call with her. she told me that she and the rest of the family went to the cemetery to visit Papa's grave.

it pinched me. because God, how i wish i was with them.

my father died in January 2007,just after a great christmas holiday we spent with him, and after a promise that he was coming to visit me here in England.

but of course, he never ever had the chance to visit me. (which makes me sad). after we organised for the long arduous process of his passport, he died.

but not to dwell on my sadness, my father is a pinch in my chest. he is.

he was my first hero, and he could do no wrong in my eyes. even if he died no matter what age, whether at 100 years old, or his 57 years, he would still be a pinch in my chest to talk about and remember. people we love, we always wish and somehow mentally bestow immortality on them.

in my life as a blogger since 2004, i have spoken of my love of my father since i could remember although not solely, oftentimes my blogs are peppered with narration of adoration for the first man who had my heart.

he was and still is a pinch in my heart because apart from everything else, he was my driving force to everything i did in my life. i sought his approval for everything, from clothes, boyfriends (not that i heeded, but i sought his nod like crazy), and career choice.


my father was also my ally. my Mama and i, when we had our mini-quarrels, i ran to my papa. i always did. but my papa always sided with my mama, lol. but even then, he could do no wrong. he was still loved.

i always look forward to talking to him because he would always laugh on the other end of the line when i make jokes or make some weird comment about my new life in england and tell him of my 'weird dreams for the family'. and i love it, when he says on the phone "taod-taod na lagi ka wala katawag" / "its been some time since you phoned" even if the last time was a day ago.


and he would always say to my cousins jokingly "nindaot na lagi ka karl" "youve lost weight karl" everytime karla comes over. (he cant even see, he was blind!,LOL).


i dont know where this story is heading but this is important to me. because you, the reader has to know that for whatever i am now, and whatever i do, its all because there was a man named Celso who is beloved and is sorely missed until the day he would welcome me aboard in our maker's kingdom.


i am writing this because this makes me feel whole again.


and its because, there is one day that i am allowed to talk about the father who has long gone and yet still pinches the sore scabs of the heart left splintered the day he stopped breathing.








i miss him so much. there is not a day i am not reminded that he lived.


10 comments:

Shutterfairy said...

Hi Chel.. since the beginning, before we even met, you have openly expressed the love you have for your father. I super admire you for that. And every time you talk about him, I just know that you sometimes wish that you can illustrate through actions with him by your side.

chiarajulieann said...

thanks for sharing chel. i can feel the love you have for your Papa and i can relate.

i thank God for every single day that my parents are still with us, still 'taking care' of us and still guiding us. one of my greatest fears is that inevitable time when God calls them to His side. just thinking about it brings me to tears.

hiddenrage said...

Hi Chel.. since the beginning, before we even met, you have openly expressed the love you have for your father. I super admire you for that. And every time you talk about him, I just know that you sometimes wish that you can illustrate through actions with him by your side.

***

thats so sweet of you to remember mai. it is indeed what my friends always say about me, how passionate i am for the love of my family , and with it, a strong evidence of how i love my father. my family defines me so much. and i am thankful that i am the way i am. thank you mai..it goes to show dugay na ta friends..kay you remember things about me, only close ones really pick up on=) thank you mai=)

hiddenrage said...

thanks for sharing chel. i can feel the love you have for your Papa and i can relate.

i thank God for every single day that my parents are still with us, still 'taking care' of us and still guiding us. one of my greatest fears is that inevitable time when God calls them to His side. just thinking about it brings me to tears.

***

hi chiar..i suggest you keep/continueyour love for your parents..theyre not here forever..i mean, of ourse, keep it natural, its only natural to have little moments of disagrrement with family, but dont let it overrride the real core of what you really feel for them: that you love them..im so glad, that with my Mama and Papa-even if i am their 'prodigal daughter', they know too how much i love them--they hear it from me all the time..im corny and dramatic that way..which makes me think im glad i am, coz when my dad died, it made me realise, if i wasnt too showy, i probably regret it now=)

hug your parents for me chiar..and hugs to you:-)

Aileen said...

You love so deeply, Chel.
And I know just how much you love your Papa, and every person in your family for that matter.
It's true, for someone who loves truly,
the beloved could do no wrong.

You are one of the lucky ones who had a Dad who loved you.
He must have been very proud of you. I think he still is.
I wish I met him.

So beautifully-written, Chel.

hiddenrage said...

You love so deeply, Chel.
And I know just how much you love your Papa, and every person in your family for that matter.
It's true, for someone who loves truly,
the beloved could do no wrong.

You are one of the lucky ones who had a Dad who loved you.
He must have been very proud of you. I think he still is.
I wish I met him.

So beautifully-written, Chel.


***


hi ai,im so touched by what you wrote, i feel theres some sort of validation of why and how we love someone it doesnt go unnoticed.

i suppose i am lucky to have had a father like him, who i know loved me til his last breath..but i could say so about my mother and my siblings who feel his loss in their lives too..he was so central to our life.

*hugs* thank you for being one of those few who know me really well, and for caring to know me too=)

Mimi said...

*sigh* i'm out of words. and you know why.

hiddenrage said...

sigh* i'm out of words. and you know why.

**

sorry mims, napa remember na nuon tika sa imong dad... makalagot gyud ning father's day, iparemember gyud ta sa atong loss...*hugs natong duha*

Mimi said...

it's ok Chel. yes, hugs to both of us.

grabe man gani akong grief bisag love-hate mi sa akong dad, ikaw pa nga love gyud ka sa imong papa.

hiddenrage said...

mims, you and your dad, that was a usual daughter-dad relationship..deep down naa moy bond sa imong dad, undeniable nga love for one another..i feel your hurt when he died, coz you love him, and thats what it is..love..=)